pasticceria papa

mainpictureI have been hearing about Haberfield for what seems like the longest of times. "It is" Rocket would exclaim "the Eden of Sydney. The premiere suburb. Why would you want to live anywhere else?" He would continue, accompanied by constant riling from myself and the Bean. "What do you think of Haberfield Rocket?" we would ask "Decent place do you think?" And it would start all over again. So there was not so much as a single question asked when we realised that I wanted cake, and would be in Haberfield. "I'll show you the best place!" said he. And off we went.

Pasticceria Papa sits on the main corner of Haberfield (being that of Ramsay Street and Dalhousie Street, for the uninitiated). And the first thing I notice, as we wander down the road and towards the high ceilinged, large windowed building is the queue. People. Everywhere.

pasticceria papa
the cabinet crush

It does not help that we are visiting in the middle of Easter, and it seems all and sunder have flocked here to grab a cake, a couple of slices and some other nice treats for imminent guests. The queue spills out the door and onto the street, where a couple of dads stand with prams, not daring to try get inside.

imagename
goodies for sale

And we soon see why. The counter is long and heavy laden. Cakes of all description and purpose sit stacked in, along and behind it. A hand will fly up "Who's next!" and, without any pushing or shoving, the next one will rattle out their order. When it comes to our turn, we are utterly stumped. There are precious few signs telling us what each item is, much less its price, but no matter. Rocket is here for a birthday cake, and I am drawn to a collection of flavoured profiteroles.

imagename
coffee profiterole cake

There are two profiterole cakes on offer today. One caramel and the other coffee. "Which one would you like?" we are asked. "Caramel" says Rocket, then looks at our faces. "No. Coffee." The cake is packed up in a box and droped off at the counter, where he is asked "What did you order?" before doing the dollar for delicious swap. And whilst the Bean & I weren't around to try it, I am told that his family was rather happy with the cake.

imagename
selection of profiteroles

I hav bypassed slices of all description (a full menu can be downloaded here) and have stopped in front of the profiteroles. "What flavours are these?" I ask. "Pistachio" I am told, a finger pointing at the green-topped puff. "Hazelnut. Chocolate. Vanilla" Three of us. Four flavours. "I'll have one of each, except the chocolate." And after shifting $4.20 into the waiting hands of the cashier (at least I think it was $4.20, it may have been $5.40. Forgive me for inaccuracies, for I was a touch overwhelmed) I am presented with my goodies.

imagename
pistachio, vanilla, hazelnut

We divide and conquer. The vanilla first. And it is creamy and eggy with a not-too-crispy and not-too-soggy pastry shell. Lovely. The hazelnut is wonderfully nutty atop and the filling is remeniscent of a lighter version of custard made from nutella. But the pistachio! OH! I was all about the pistachio. It was clean and nutty without the slightly alcoholic and bitter flavour that pistachio flavoured items can have. And, when items were being divvied up, it was the one that I swiped an extra serving of.

imagename
cannoli: chocolate & vanilla

Somehow, in the melee, Rocket had snagged a couple of cannoli for us to try. They were crunchy and sweet. Shattering before giving way to a smooshy interior (and I can only describe it as smooshy, because that's how it felt). Love!

"Why so little food?" you may ask. Well, I'd been bakery hopping that morning and already had enough cake and pastry to last me the rest of the weekend... But I'll be back to Pasticceria Papa soon I think. For the pistachio profiteroles if nothing else anyway.

Pasticceria Papa
145 Ramsay Street
Haberfield NSW 2045
ph: 02 9798 6894 or 9799 9676

Open Monday-Friday: 8am-6pm, Saturday: 7:30am-5pm, Sunday: 7:30am-1pm

14 bites more:

Simon Leong said...

a very popular place indeed. if you like your cannoli then try the Ricotta one from Pasticceria Tamborrino in Five Dock. I think it's one of the best in Sydney.

Stephcookie said...

Ooh bakery hopping sounds like a great way to spend your morning. They have an enormous product list! Must check them out sometime...though I've never been a huge fan of profiteroles, is that odd? But I'd happily steal the cannoli off you :)

Belle@OohLook said...

Ooh, I love Haberfield, especially the parks and Federation houses. And the bakeries!

Simon said...

Not a bad place to eat at considering its wide range and reasonably stress free ordering process. Sulfaro, the place a few stores down the road is slow for orders (had to wait 15 mins to order a cake and gelato) but they have a far superior tiramisu cake.

Horses for courses, I guess :)

chocolatesuze said...

LOVE this place! the ricotta cheesecake is to die for! totally ordering one for my bday hehe

Arwen from Hoglet K said...

Looks like the Rocket was right about at least one thing in Haberfield - those cakes look brilliant. It's good to hear the pistachio profiteroles don't have almond essence, pistachio is much nicer without it.

Yas said...

Ohh yes, I like their profiteroles and cannoli! Luckily I live not too far away from Haberfield too haha.

Anita said...

Profiteroles + Cake = Fantastic! - sooo jealous! :) and those cannoli sounded so good too! I have been meaning to go to a chocolate place in Haberfield people have been raving about, but haven't had the chance yet.

Anonymous said...

0_o... who says "except the chocolate" ?!?!??! But the profiteroles sure do look nice ^^!

Anonymous said...

Sheryl, you've done the Field proud...

Rocket

Leona said...

I LOVE cannoli!!!! ricotta i.e. Must try this place one day. Never heard of haberfield? is that near ashfield? or fivedock?

Y said...

I keep meaning to visit this place! Goodness knows we've driven past enough times for me to be tempted, but I don't know why we've never actually made it through the doors! The pistachio puff would've been my pick too :)

shez said...

Simon: so many patisseries, so little time! :)

Stephcookie: it has the potential to be a little daunting, its true. and oh! i'll swap my cannoli for your puffs anyday!

Belle: isn't it the cutest place? and i never really bothered with it til now.

Simon: i'll have to head back and check it out. i also happened across a particularly well-known chocolatier while i was there. brilliant!

chocolatesuze: ohhhh sounds tastyyy... *eyes perk up!*

Arwen: don't say that, he'll get a big head ;)

Yas: you'll have to warn me if you're hading there so i don't turn up and see everything gone :)

Anita: i think you're talking about the same one as i saw when i was there (ohdear it smelt so good!)

FFichiban: i say "except the chocolate" because chocolate custard is never quite right for me.

Rocket: good pick. good pick.

leona: near five dock. just at the end of the city westlink.

Y: i'd never even heard of it until i made visit especially to go. i fear i've been missing out!

Anonymous said...

The Ricotta cheesecake is delicious!

MmmHa

Post a Comment