jimmy's recipe malaysia

mainpictureAs a person of Malaysian heritage, I'm always looking for somewhere that brings me right back there. The heat that almsot sticks to your skin, the smells that waft around, the smoky flavours and that satisfying feeling in your stomach when you know you've eaten just that little bit too much, and done it all at half past 2 in the morning. The coconut rice, fresh and fragrant. The curries. Meat optional, because it's the gravy that does it, really. Not so much the mozzies and the cats that curl around your ankles while you're eating. Definitely the prices, if possible (though in Sydney, I'm thinking not so much).

It was three, maybe five years ago that the Malay Chinese moved on from its hidey hole next to the Chanel Store on Castlereagh and on to greener, Wynyard-friendly pastures. And those were pastures that I was unable to convincingly trek to and from in a brief lunch break. Luckily for me, a store named Jimmy's popped its little head up at me and opened in a far more convenient location (and one that was far more locate-able for those unfamiliar to it).

imagename
bain marie

I gotta say, first up, that I love Jimmy's. I mean, sure. It doesn't have the super crazy variety that some other Malaysian Chinese places may have. It doesn't have the freshly made roti (and the roti-master flinging it around in the window). But if you're looking for a quick taste of home (and some of the best laksa around) then you're hitting up the right place.

imagename
bain marie

The bain marie holds a multitude of tasty options. And fear not, for this is not your average dried-out meat, three-day-old curry bain marie. And, even as someone who will generally prefer her meals "cooked to order", I'm fairly partial to the food you'll find behind the glass front. And so too, it seems, does the crowd. I managed to snare myself a seat right near the counter one week and saw the dishes flying out the door. (Handy Hint: arrive early for lunch, or late. Tables can be tough to snare, especially if you have a large group. If you're flying solo, the customers here are mroe than happy to share a table, just ask.)

imagename
nasi lemak $8.20

One of my favourite meals to come out of the bain marie is the nasi lemak. Ok, that's only partly true. The curry comes out of the bain marie (oh! how the chicken curry reminds of home!) but the rest of it is served up in the kitchen section of the restaurant. For $8.20, you'll receive a healthy serving of coconut rice, chilli ikan bilis sambal, cucumber, a boiled egg, ground peanuts, archar (Malaysian pickles) and your choice of curry.

imagename
nasi lemak all gone

And don't think this is a small dish to consume either. The blue dish contains some decently deep cavities, and if you're anything like me, you'll find yourself scooping up mouthful after mouthful and wondering if it will ever end (then marvelling at the fact that it doesn't. Well, it does, but long after you think it will). i was so proud of myself for finishing it all that I took a photo. I was very full for many hours afterwards.

imagename
char kway teow & rice with chicken curry $7.20

This is my absolute hands down favourite. Fondly dubbed the "heart attack". The order goes something like this "Can I please get one half char kway teow, half white rice and chicken curry?" You gotta specify that you want half & half, you see, as this isn't very common. Also gotta specify white rice. Sounds simple? Well, yes. But think for a second. Gorgeous, smoky rice noodles, lightly dressed in a heart warming, coconutty (but not too coconutty) chicken curry gravy. White rice to soak the rest of it up. Ultimate bad mood food. Gym required afterwards.

imagename
murtabak $6.00

Also highly recommended is the murtabak. And ringing in at only $6.00, you've found yourself a steal of a meal. Be warned though, like the seats at Jimmy's, the murtabak is made in limited stock and disappears fairly quickly. Also, ask for the chicken curry gravy over the top of it. Makes a world of a difference.

imagename
inside murtabak

Murtabak is essentially a filled in roti canai. Break it open and you'll find a flurry of chicken pieces, shallot and onion all tumbled about and surrounded by eggy goodness. It's like eating roti and an omelette all in one. With curry. *swoon*.

imagename
chicken laksa $7.20

What the crowd is here for, however, is the laksa. Bowls and bowls and bowls of it. I have, on occasion, met friends of various tastes here at Jimmy's. All have loved the laksa. Miss Shiny will have a spoonful, and then another before looking up, wide eyed and exclaiming "Oh! It's spicy!" The Closed-Mouth-Cat will slurp (politely) away at his, and then sit back in his seat looking like the proverbial cat that got the cream. I just make sure I'm not wearing white. Because laksa and white don't mix so well.

imagename
beef laksa $7.00

The laksa here comes with a mix of vermecelli and egg noodles accompanied by either veges, chicken, beef, fish or seafood and squishy cubes of fried tofu in a hearty, stocky soup. It's served up by a crew of happy, friendly Malaysians, and it takes me right back home.

Jimmy's Recipe Malaysia
The Galeries Victoria
Ground Floor, Shop RC16, 500 George St
Sydney NSW 2000
Ph (02) 9267 2288

ps) also highly recommended is the Chicken Rice - you get a choice of leg or breast and it is de-li-cious. Truly.

13 bites more:

Anonymous said...

The 'Heart Attack' looks intense, it's the type of meal I'd have AFTER a soccer match lol. Those prices are awesome too.

Anonymous said...

i am still yet to try this place. I can be quite picky when it comes to justify the authenticity of malaysian food. :P the murtabak looks quite scary actually drenched in curry sauce... mmm...will have to try before I can judge it right? :)

Anonymous said...

Ooo... so much yumminess :)

I've been on the lookout for good laksa, so glad that I was able to get this perspective from a native of the cuisine. Must try! :)

Anonymous said...

Ooohh I have heard about Jimmy's but you srsly have me drooling over here! I want to try all of these dishes mmmmmm

Yeah I can't believe Malay-Chinese went from 3 to just 1 :( they so tasty but.

Karen | Citrus and Candy said...

I'm with Billy - very picky when it comes to Malaysian. I'd have to go judge the laksa and nasi lemak for myself!

Anonymous said...

Shez i've eaten here a couple of times on my lunch break.

I've tried the:
• chicken curry
• beef rendang with roti canai - prob my fav dish there as the beef is soo tender
• hainan chicken
• wonton soup... my wonton pork mince was raw =( couldnt eat the wontons (damn the wonton cravings)

Have you tried the malaysian place on hunter st? Apparently they have the best laksa as mentioned on eatability. I haven't tried it though (i'm not a laksa eater) the ques are ridiculously long.. and there's no places to sit because the place is soo small =(

LOVE UR PHOTOSS!!!
I love roti canai
and awesome entry

Anonymous said...

wow... heard about this place long time ago but never want to try... After read your blog..on behalf of M'sian food fan, my god ! I will definitely go there soon

Anonymous said...

Oo, a laksa recommendation. I'll have to try it out. You're so right about not wearing white. I always seem to end up with a speckled shirt after eating laksa, but maybe I just slurp too quickly.

shez said...

Howard: its awesome i tells you! as long as you don't have it before exercise. bad, bad idea.

Billy: it's not ezzactly what you'll get in Malaysia hawker-stand wise, but it's very like the kind of cooking you'll get at home in Malaysia, you know. aunty-style.

Simon: i hope you like it!

FFichiban: :) i get Jimmy's cravings if i'm not there at least once a month. i think its the curry...

Karen: ohno! i'm so stressed now! malaysians are the worst critics...

smileona: i've had a similar problem with the wontons. pity :( and yes to hunter street (MalayChinese yes? my fave until they moved over there). Unless there's another one?

beansproutscafe: go! go!

Arwen: it's the laksa splatter. nothing can be done about it. except for preen. preen is gold after laksa!

Y said...

I haven't tried this place yet, but a few people I know how told me that it's worth visiting. I certainly miss Malaysian food, but definitely NOT the heat! How can anyone be nostalgic about the heat!? Geez ;P
In total agreement about the "optional meat/gravy that does it" though! I'm all about gravy.. :)

shez said...

Y: definitely worth a visit. and really? the heat isn't that bad. i think the last time i went it was a lovely 32C for most of the week (and a decent bit cooler than Sydney!)

Anonymous said...

I've never been but your description is certainly selling me on the food, especially the murtabak!

Grace said...

ahah I'd never thought of char kuay teow in that way (a heartattack?!) mmmmm I want to try that half and half with rice & chicken curry

anyway this was totally entertaining
I am kinda hooked

Post a Comment