ho's kitchen

hos egg tartsI have a soft spot for egg tarts. Something about the warm, eggy custard and the flaky buttery pastry just gets me (I am, as previously mentioned, a flaky egg tart person as opposed to a sweet pastry egg tart person). And the promise of a freshly baked, flaky, warm, eggy egg tart has been the drawcard of many a yum cha for me. It is hard getting to yum cha though. And not always worth the hassle & wait when all one wants is a bit of this and one of that.

My mother discovered Ho's Kitchen down Pitt St. And by "discovered", I mean got speaking to other asian mothers who love to eat (don't all asian mothers?) and was told about the frozen dumplings "So convenient - just boil and then you can have a quick lunch!" and the freshly made baked goods.

imagename
six pack of fresh pork buns

Since then, we've made numerous trips, walking down from Market St "It's only one more block mum. Promise. Come on!" "One more block?! You one more blocked three blocks ago! I'll one more block you!" and more recently, especially after that exchange, driven down and popped out of the car to pick up goodies "Should we get chicken? I think we should get chicken" whilst dad waited patiently for us (and his treats) to return.

imagename
happy hot foods cabinet

My personal favourites? Well, let's see.

Well, clearly, there's the egg tarts. And at the grand price of $1.00 each, you'll be ordering six and scoffing them all before they make it home (though I don't recommend this. You will almost definitely feel not-so-good afterwards).

Then there's the char-siu-so. A melange of red porky goodness ensconsed in a flaky triangle of pastry. Sweet, and not savoury as you may originally imagine. When we first started our adventures at Ho's (which sounds more like a low-grade movie than it actually is), these were always (always) on the menu. And then we had to think of our cholesterol. And then one week the flaky pastry was a little crushed. And then we found other exciting things. They are good though, and I'd recommend you try them.

combination dumpling
ham sui gok / combination dumpling $1.00

The ham-sui-gok (combination dumpling) is a football shaped, deep fried dumpling-thing filled with a moist mix of crunchy veges, mushrooms and pork mince. This is what we traded the char-siu-so in for, and now pick up one (or three) every time.

imagename
char siu bun $1.50

Also in the honourable mentions is the char-siu bun. Soft, fresh and fluffy with a crunchy butter-and-sugar hat. Ahhhhhh!

imagename
frozen foods menu (part one)

For the more traditional (and also for those who don't cook) there are fresh and frozen char-siu bao (steamed pork buns) that just need a quick whiz in the microwave for a delicious and speedy lunchable. There's also three (count'em - three!) different freezer cabinets filled with frozen siu mai (not bad), as well as (personal favourite) the six treasures vegetarian mix (bung in a pot, add a little bit of water and heat gently), nyow-lam or braised beef (ditto) and dumplings of assorted shapes and fillings that you can buy frozen by the 50-pack. Even easier to manage the pre-cooked cold chicken boxes (the one with chilli oil is a fantastic buy). Add rice and eat.

imagename
one more egg tart shot - indulge me

I'm still eating my way through so haven't yet tried the mango pudding (though I've seen it sell like hot cakes) or the biscuits and lotus fileld moon cakes that sit in the shelf next to the freezers. But I will get to them soon, and when I do, you'll hear about it.

imagename

Ho's Dimsim Kitchen
429A Pitt Street
Sydney 2000
Phone: (02) 9281 2725

10 bites more:

Anonymous said...

Oh I walk past the "Ho" so many times but never thought of going inside, looks like is a good find! The egg tart is a steal! 1 dozen for me thank you very much!

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

oh yes, ho's kitchen is filled with temptation. i love the exchange with your mum too. it sounds so very familiar!

i also like lai shing dimsum on george street near railway square, mostly because you can see them making all the steamed buns in the kitchen out the back and if you're lucky you can get a package of buns still trapped with residual steam. yum.

Anonymous said...

Yuuuuuuuuuummmmmmm!!!!

harn sui gok is by far my fave!!!! Will have to head down at some stage. Sounds like another Yummy adventure!

Anonymous said...

I love this place but haven't been for ages. yes I know what you mean about it being a bit of production when you just ahve a hankering for one of two particular yum cha goodies (I mean lets just start with the wait!). There's a place underneath Cornucopia under Myer that does Yum Cha and also sells the goodies separately for take away. I've grabbed many a Har Gow from there. I hope it's still there!

shez said...

Billy: i reckons! just don't eat them all at once :)

Helen: ooh! not sure if i'm going to be able to convince the mother to walk that much further, so this may have to be a solo trip. love it when food is that freshly made!

JacJacJacqui: oh i know, isn't it? maybe one sunday yes?

Lorraine: i think i know which one you're talking about. it's been replaced! now it's all black and noodles to order :(

Anonymous said...

Hahhhaha my mother comes here for some stuff! Usually their sausage,chicken and char siu buns hee hee My mother will also say something similar like "I'll one more block your head!"

Ahhh good times

Anonymous said...

I went to Chat Thai last night (ohmygod, so tasty), but while I was waiting for my friend I walked past Ho's kitchen. I has a little peek inside, but they were closing up. Must return!

Anonymous said...

FFichiban: haven't actually tried the bao yet - i always get caught up on everything else. will put it on my to-do list.

lili: chat thai is good (yumyum!) plus hooray for it reopening. i was missing it muchly. sad for missing out on Ho's goodness. hope you get around to it!

Anonymous said...

Aren't the waves of "oh-so-good" worth the "not-so-good" afterwards in the same way that the hang-out at a bar can be worth the hang-over the following morning?

I've always felt a little dubious about this place, mostly because an immature view of this place being staffed by prostitutes. Glad to see that I'm not the only one that had thought that way :)

Thanks for the review. I'm a fan of the egg tarts so it's good to know that there is a place that I can find them without having to go out for yum cha. Mango pudding rocks as well, especially during mango season, so will have to look out for that too.

shez said...

Simon: hehe. gotta love the Ho's. it is an unfortunate name. but yes, fantastic for that yum cha treat without the queues.

Post a Comment