I know ice-cream is supposed to be hot-weather food, and that the weather is presently the opposite of hot. But yesterday was a Monday. And I got a case of the Mondays something fierce. And when I get a case of the Mondays, there are only two options. Either I lay pathetically on the floor, waiting for someone to scrape me up with a butterknife, or I fix it. In the only way I know how. And that way involves food. bad day sundae 2. Grab a bowl. Biggish. Scoop the ice-cream into it with a thud. Jab it a couple of times for good measure. 5. By now, the ice-cream should be a little melty. Think soft-serve. Mix the boozey bikkies in. Stir it good - you want a mostly even distribution. 11. Rescue the ice-cream. In the glass it goes!
On this particular Monday, fixing it meant high-tailing it down to the shops on the way home from work, grabbing essentials - 1 x Toblerone, 1 x packet of white chocolate & macadamia cookies & 1 x Sara lee French Vanilla ice-cream. Fixing it meant staring morosely out the window of the bus whilst it trudged, bumbled and slid down the roads to where I live. Fixing it meant throwing said essentials together, along with a couple of basics, and making a bad day sundae.
the loot (sans booze, i already had that)
ingredients for the ice-cream
500ml vanilla ice-cream (as good as can be found at 6pm on a Monday)
2 tbsp milk
75g white chocolate & macadamia cookies
ingredients for the chocolate sauce
3tbs thickened cream
1. Throw your stuff on the floor, shake the rain out of your hair and coat. Trundle towards the kitchen, essentials in hand.
1a. Ok, that first one wasn't really a step. But it will make you feel better.
3. Break the biscuits up in a separate bowl. Go on, snap 'em hard.
4. Douse biscuits liberally in the cognac & milk. Stir a little. You'll have some bits of biscuit still crunchy & some a bit soggy.
6. Toss the lot in a container & back into the freezer.
7. Watch the Biggest Loser & feel bad about ice-cream. Groan at people who cry too much. Also those who bitch too much.
8. Eat dinner in front of SYTYCD. Feel a bit better.
9. Break the Toblerone into a small saucepan. Dollop cream in. One, two, three! (So much easier than using a measuring cup).
10. Put saucepan over a low heat and stir, stir, stir (calmly now) until you end up with a rich, gooey, chocolatey nutty nougat-ey sauce.
ice-cream in the glass
12. Drizzle sauce over liberally.
13. Decorate with crumbled up bikkies (you didn't eat all the spares, did you?)
14. Bad day? No longer. xx
bad day sundae
2. Grab a bowl. Biggish. Scoop the ice-cream into it with a thud. Jab it a couple of times for good measure.
5. By now, the ice-cream should be a little melty. Think soft-serve. Mix the boozey bikkies in. Stir it good - you want a mostly even distribution.
11. Rescue the ice-cream. In the glass it goes!